Paraeducator – Speech – Part-Time – 2 Days/Week to support students as they receive speech services via teletherapy. The individual will be responsible for coordinating services, setting up computers, monitoring students, and providing reports regarding progress.
Domus is a nonprofit social services organization that operates educational, residential, and community programs, including a group of public charter/turnaround schools in Stamfordand New Haven, CT, designed to work with each city’s most academically and socially struggling students. Our educational mission is to successfully transition our students to the next stage of their education. Domus runs two middle schools and one high school.
For more information, please visit us online at www.domuskids.org.
About The Program:
TrailblazersAcademy is a public charter middle school serving students in grades 6 through 8. The school actively seeks to serve the most academically and behaviorally struggling students in our community and prepare them to transition successfully to high school.
About The Position:
The Paraeducator – Speech – Part Time will support students as they receive their speech services via teletherapy.
Description About The Position:
The Paraeducator – Speech – Part Time will assist in determining a schedule for services, coordinate programming with the service provider and school, pick students up from classrooms to get serviced, set up the computers with the proper technology, monitor students in the room, send reports of progress, as well as other activities as determined by the administrator.
Paraeducator – Speech – Part Time:
Domus is committed to equal employment opportunity, and we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for open positions. Domus does not discriminate against applicants based on race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, physical or mental handicap, or disability or veteran status.
- Work with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials or skills
- Coordinate services with outside providers and school with support of special education teachers
- Prepare computers with proper technology for services to be rendered effectively
- Monitor student attendance, behavior, and participation before, during, and after services
- Coordinate reports of progress and share with various school teams
- Assist students who are struggling with classroom activities as time allows
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
Required Core Competencies include:
· Excellent organizational, time management, and follow-up skills
· Basic understanding of computers including logging on, using a web browser, hooking up a web cam, and basic troubleshooting
· Must be able and willing to work with a behaviorally difficult youth population in a positive and calm manner
· Absolute commitment to the mission and core principle of Domus, including the Sanctuary model of trauma-informed care
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively
· Exceptional problem-solving, critical-thinking, and strategic planning skills
· Ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently
· Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and take initiative
· Ability to learn quickly and to be effective in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
Educational Background and Work Experience:
· Associates degree or higher, preferred.
· Experience with working with children in a school environment, preferred
· Must be committed to finding ways to keep students in the school building to serve consequences
· Must be computer literate in relevant educational software programs
· Must be able successfully monitor student behavior and help them stay focused and on task
Staff members are provided with a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package (health, dental, vision, 403(b) plan, life insurance, disability, etc.), and a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed. This is a 10-month position and follows the school calendar. This position is for two days a week.
Join a team of like-minded educators who work to achieve the mission ensuring that the community’s most struggling students get the world-class education and social support they need to thrive at the next level.
Send a letter of interest and resume to Chris Emmerson-Pace, Co-Director of Trailblazers Academy at email@example.com